» Show us your Van
9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

VIC bush fires

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: VIC bush fires

Post by mandy on 12/2/2009, 2:33 am

My deepest sympathy goes out to all those who have lost something in these tragic fires. Crying or Very sad I have friends that have lost everything, but at least they are alive, and then other friends that have managed to save their houses and livestock - even in Kinglake. The whole situation is unbelievable and words cannot describe the cicumstances whatsoever. And what makes it worse is the fires aren't over yet, we are only at the start of Feb still. Things are plodding along ok in Healesville where I live with the fires posing no threat for the last couple of days. Hope we get rain in all the fire areas to help the poor fire fighters out. My tow truck mate has the contract with Allianz and Shannons to get all the insured cars out, have seen a few on the back of his truck already, not nice at all.
On a cherrier note though, I'm looking forward to the nats Wink
mandy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinner on 12/2/2009, 5:15 am

i have friends down in victoria and they were lucky enough to miss the fires
my sympathy goes out to all the effected people and there loved ones
wayne

sinner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexican on 12/2/2009, 3:05 pm

Hi All,
This arfternoon I was asked to go up to Kinglake to take some chairs and tables up to help some of the locals out. My mate who works at Harry the Hirer asked me to go up and we conned a mate into it. I have been doing some work there so I knew the work would be faster with 2 beta with 3. Not many are getting up there mainly contractor workers like us and locals and nearly every police car/ses and fireys in Vic. The fire must have been roaring through. Saw a stuff that will last a while. Went through the hardest parts hit. Went past Dragway, still standing and clear all around. Across the road.. Gone. Where we went to was a group of locals banding together. They have containers arriving to store gear and supplies.
Dave was the guys place we dropped the gear off to (Free of Charge and if we never see it again, so be it) He described the path the fire took. WOW. one minute he was with his bro about to have a beer, on the phone from concerned friends "fire what fire" he turned his back and then "fuck fire" he grabbed his bro and the got the f out. turned left towards kinglake west. a fire ball hit their car, they kept going. he came back after the wind changed to expect his house levelled. Instead the 4 car pile up occured infront of his place (xy wagon pic you would have seen) he had 20 people in his house all defending it and it was alight. They survied to see the southerly kick in and move back toward kinglake west and then onto flowerdale/kilmore.
It was amazing how great a spirit they were all in. having beers out the back. we unloaded and had a joke and a beer with them and listened to thier stories. Dumbfounded.
They need the simple things, the basics, toiletries, food, petrol. they are selfless and consider themselves lucky and will get on with it. they all talked about the speed and the "roar" something they said they will live forever with. Amazing what got burnt versus what didn't. It was a honour to help in such a small small way, I will remmeber that for ages. I will post some pics when I can 2moro.
I found out today also my cosuin is identifying at the coreners in st kilda. They are all banding together. She seems in good spirit and says how much care they are giving those they are dealing with. I will see her next week I hope just to have a drink and listen.
Geez I ramble on. Just to update you. There is a glimer of hope, they will continue as we all will.
mex
Mexican

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace on 12/2/2009, 3:19 pm

WOW, what can i say.

They showed a preveiw of Today Tonight for Mondays show on Channel 7 they have an interview with Sam & Snowy in the show. some may be wanting to see it.

Daz

View user profile http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexican on 12/2/2009, 3:21 pm

Sorry, it will be on Monday??? aparently there was an article in the herald sun yesterday, missed it
Mexican

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace on 12/2/2009, 3:23 pm

yep they are having a 1 hour special.

View user profile http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexican on 13/2/2009, 2:08 am

Here are some of the pics. Mainly burnt out bush pics with a few houses and general type pics to show you the general gist.
On the way up, looking north west towards kilmore

Bloody graffiti artists LOL

one of the many cars

Dragway, notice trees behind ok, across the road...gone

Bush close gone, look through pi to the back, grass in paddock ok

Heading back towards Kinglake west near to the berry farm if you know there, see the grass.

Was thirsty work we did, wanted to stop for a few quite ones, bugger even the bottlo got hit.

On the way back down, looking south east.
Mexican

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon on 13/2/2009, 4:35 am

you know... in the meantime, i'm still left speechless.... still can't believe this has happened.... then there's the looters and those stealing the collection tins... and of course those a*holes who lit the fires in the first place, f*n amazing they can actually sleep at night. Then there's those that band together and become even tougher, get on with life, learn to appreciate even the smallest things in life, cos you just don't know what's around the corner. It's another one of those 9/11 incidents and we all in our own little way learnt a lesson from that. I take my hat off to the firies, to the doctors, nurses, countless volunteers, SES workers, police, donators of blood, money and goods, to the animal welfarers who are spending countless hours looking after injured animals, and those countless people who are just simply volunteering some help that remain unmentioned, I take my hat off to those who are staunch in staying put and rebuilding where they are. We have a couple of people here at work who have lost everything, another is at the moment at home in Healesville defending his house as we speak. Everyone knows someone who is affected, I never knew Tina and the girls, but my heart goes out to them, along with all the others that have perished - RIP. I tear up everytime i watch the news, read the paper or peruse the msn website.
I just wanted to share my thoughts. Hope you don't mind.
mazdragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk on 14/2/2009, 1:20 pm

Vandalize wrote:They got as close as 2 mins down the road.(Pomboneit fires). they got on top of them quick though. these fireis know what their doing(thank God). Van is safe in the shed. Wink

My eldest daughter is a firefighter in your area & was fighting them Weerite / Pomboneit fires
Condolences to all those affected by the fires its been a hectic week down here with 21 deaths & maybe more & some we know
The bastard firebug has been caught down here & is in protected custody from the locals
a 39 year old local l just dont understand
Monk

View user profile http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/campwin_cars/

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 on 15/2/2009, 4:59 am

Members of DVV banded together with bags and bags of clothing and toys for kids. Yesterday i took them up to Flowerdale. What an eiry site and smell once you reach the burnt areas. As i got to Flowerdale, the police and Vic roads had the town blocked offbut they allowed me through. I dropped of the goods o a depot and got talking to a local of 34 yrs, he said he had heard not one bad word from anyone, all were in good spirits despite the tragidy and most wanted to stay, i guess thats what country communities are like, they are a family and help each other out. The local told me to go for a drive down the main street, so i did but got permission first from the cops. It was wierd to see some houses spared in between ones either side demolished. Cars littered the land everywhere but it bought a tear to my eye when i reached the main street where most of the community lived. It was like a war zone, not one building left standing, just piles of twisted , malten metal everywhere. I pulled over to do a u turn and i could not believe the heat generated from the ground still. What puzzles me though is how a street runnung off the main road was not even touched and all the houses in that street survived. Seriously, i do not want to see something like this again.
Although the hall i dropped the stuff off at was nearly full they were still happy to recieve goods, it felt so good being able to help even if it was in a small way. I guess it means a lot to them, they even offered food and drink and i said no thanks, i think others deserve it more than me, anyway i had a drink in the car.
I think every person who picked up a bucket or a hose is an absolute hero. To put there lives on the line for mainly material possessions is amazing, so much guts, but i suppose a person has to do what they have to do. GOD BLESS EVERYONE OF THEM cheers
vanner065
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15/2/2009, 9:58 am

Sam's story is about to start on channel 7 Newcastle on a program called "Sunday Night"

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 on 15/2/2009, 10:37 am

Man that was so touching, i don't know how he sat there without crying, i couldn't of done it. My thoughts are with you Sam. Tina and the kids RIP Crying or Very sad
vanner065
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15/2/2009, 10:38 am

Very sad story. Crying or Very sad
They looked like such lovely kids.
My heart goes all to all those people that have suffered in some way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top