» Show us your Van
9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Re: The RTA is at it again.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The RTA is at it again.....

Post by Guest on 13/7/2010, 11:23 am

bit of info
This is from the NSW ASRF June 2010 Minutes.

"What was discussed were the changes in NSW to MPV (Modified Production Vehicles) and ICV (Idividually Constructed Vehicles). The RTA are intending that soon all Modified Production Vehicles will have a FINAL inspection by the RTA;the Engineer will have to provide evidence to their approvals and the base for a Street Rod will no longer be apair of chassis rails and one cross member. The RTA believes that we are so close to being able to achieve ICV, with concessions on some of the ADR'S (Australian Desigin Rules) that this is the track we should consider. "

"Tony, as far as I know it is for all modified vehicles full registration. From what I'm hearing, modification could mean paint colour change ,wheel change, ride height ect. I'm chasing for more info.........This will affect any car group or club wanting something other than off the showroom floor. "

you can send a Email to him it might help
http://www.andrewstoner.com.au/component/option,com_mecontact/Itemid,144/view,mecontact/

Back to top Go down

Re: Re: The RTA is at it again.....

Post by BRUTLE on 27/7/2010, 7:05 am

Finally the RTA is doing something positive! some of these proposed changes have been a long time comming, we are an authorised unregistered vehicle inspection station or AUVIS & keen vehicle modifiers ourselves , we work closely with the NSW RTA & once a vehicle is modified & engineered it comes to a AUVIS station to obtain there final paperwork for registration . i have seen it all & the fact that all a vehicle needs in NSW is a factory chassis with at least one crossmember still "untouched" is a JOKE . here in NSW you can take a 1986 hilux chassis put a fibreglass replica 32 ford body on it a V8 engine in it with virtually any mixed matched assortment of steering & braking combinations you like & register it as a 1986 Hilux re-bodied Rolling Eyes this has to stop!!!! there are so many "soft" engineers that have crept into the system and streeeeetching or interpreting the rules is the norm & it needs cleaning up ! this will NOT affect people modifying the vehicles but it will insure that they are done in a way that people are more accountable & they are modified in a way that is safe . Im sick of seeing cars that are "supposably" engineered that lock up rear brakes at the slightest touch of the brake, vehicles that require a 6point turn to do a U-turn or seeing cars that are so low that brake hoses rub on tyres & they suffer cronic bumpsteer Yet there owners are devistated when i refuse to pass off on these death traps because " but i have an engineers report" a positive step forward by the NSW RTA i say . regards AL Bennett

BRUTLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramble on 27/7/2010, 12:16 pm

Sorry Al, but I dont understand. If its been engineered with a report then how can an AUVIS inspectors "knock" it back. Surley theres no risk of trouble comming back to you if the engineer has signed off on it.
Not trying to be a smart arse,,just not understanding the procedure these days

Ramble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramble on 27/7/2010, 12:22 pm

One other thing, how do these cars that i see in Street machine with the "22 ft high" blowers and tunnel rams sticking out of the bonnets get passed for rego, As most "claim" to be, when my 4x4 got knocked back for vision impairment for having a ladder rack bolted to the bull bar last rego. Suspect

Ramble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BRUTLE on 2/8/2010, 7:09 am

Well Ramble its really is quiet simple i get this a lot, an engineer may engineer an individual component or modification but he does not check the final fitted product for complaince, we have to do that . & not all automotive engineers are certified to do AUVIS, plus a report issued by a engineer that is not recogised by the rta (QLD or VIC engineers for example) are not valid . one example i recently had was an engineer report by an approved engineer for a handbrake set up in a vehicle, it covered the cables the cross compatability of components used, the brakets, levers & such but when it was presented to me for an AUVIS inspection it failed because the assembly didnt allow for sufficient sealing of the drivers compartment. Many engineer reports are issued during stages of the build & not on a completed vehicle! this is often the point of confusion plus owners often CHANGE there vehicle after the engineers report has been issued thinking that the AUVIS station wont pick up on it........ beware most of the time THEY WILL !!!!

& with your second question on vehicles with a mountain of engine out the bonet you will find most of these are unregistered with number plates attached, such as BRUTLE is ! or quiet simply they are presented for registration each year with these items removed (it only takes about 1 1/2hrs to change from blown combo to an aspirated one for rego) this puts the onis back on the owner if he choses to fit these back on, i hope this has helped in some way. regards AL Bennett

BRUTLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 on 2/8/2010, 12:39 pm

Hey Al, why is it that an engineers report in say Victoria is not valid in say QLD or NSW? Surely what is safe in one state must be safe in another or are there different universities one can attend to get their degree depending on what weeties packet you pick up, surely all the engineers must have the same standard to pass their exams?? Question

vanner065
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramble on 3/8/2010, 2:30 pm

it seems to me that the nsw system suffers from an exhausting amount of red,blue & black tape to get a modification done.
ive seen pink slip inspectors damn near punch holes in a floor pan with a screw driver checking for rust or knocking back a falcon for "cracks" around the rear door striker (which turn out to be dirt lines) then the same fella pass a car with loose wheel bearings?????? WTF
I know this as fact because all the cars where in my family.
dont know if this yearly inspection works because like you say i could fit a jet engine if i wanted once its passed the inspection.
didnt QLD or ViC used to have no yearly inspections but they had "flying squads" romming around pulling over cars for on the spot inspections.

Ramble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 on 7/8/2010, 4:09 am

there are more on the spot inspections now in Victoria but generally you only get a RWC when buying or selling or if the cops give u a defect

vanner065
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BRUTLE on 11/8/2010, 6:55 am

thats a valid question James & yes an engineer in Victoria is every bit as capable an engineer in NSW but it comes down to an engineer being current with each states many rule regulations & compliances so i am sure that if a victorian or queensland engineered applied to the NSW RTA they were familiar with NSW laws then they would be accepted & put on the approved list plus in NSW the engineers certificate need to be "formated" correctly they standardised the format a few years back so all reports are the same, for example even an engineers report issued by a NSW approved engineer in 1990 may not be valid today if it is not formated correctly.
& Ramble i cannot answer for your technicain as to why he missed the wheelbearing but i will say if a technician has a screw driver in hand poking around then he can usually "smell a rat" & may feel there is a little more to that freshly underbodied floorpan than meets the eye Very Happy , & if a vehicle is rusty then it has no place on our roads. & YES you can present your car for registration completely standard & obtain a pass then go home a stick a "jet engine" in it , but that has always been the case but i do challenge you to drive that vehicle & not get defected just ask all those kids that just stick a shiny new air pod filter in there cars then get defected for it the first time they get pulled over. in short AGAIN anything that makes our roads safer is a Good Thing, to many modifications are done in a shoddy manor & the system needs to weed these vehicle out & take them off the roads because at the end of the day its our children our families who shares the roads with these cars

BRUTLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramble on 11/8/2010, 2:41 pm

Ok Al, I see we could go back & forth on this subject all year.
as to my floorpan there wasnt any rust just that id been doing the car up and wanted a nice clean underbody for the inspection but the guy suspected i had covered up rust with tar, pissed me off when the screwdriver came out. He couldve used a magnet for the same affect, I didn't think inspectors had the right to damage vehicles during inspections Mad

BTW, we got a young bloke hangs around my daughter n drives a VS commodore and was defected for having one of those airfilter pod thingys. what gives? they dont look as thogh there unsafe.why are they illigal and if they are ,why can superdear and undapro allowed to sell them.

Ramble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BRUTLE on 12/8/2010, 6:49 am

a performance shop can sell anything they like Very Happy you can buy a Nitro sucking blown BB (if ur pockets are deep enough) but it is up to the purchaser to insure the it is used in a manner that doesnt violate state laws , as for the air pod question i have debated this several times over the years as i think its a joke but the latest answer apart from the obvious one that most kids just drop the airfilter box off & shove one of these pods in the piece of plexable hose wth no containment or brackets Rolling Eyes , it has been told to me by the NSW Police who mostly issue these defects that they fail firstly on emission compliance with the engine breathers relying on the air box to work efficiently & my personal favourite that they often fail to comply with maximum noise Db limits . that one leaves me shaking my head but hey i dont make the rules it is only up to us to follow them .

BRUTLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum