» Show us your Van
9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

'Mr Juicy' the high-roofed Charger ..err Panelvan!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Mr Juicy' the high-roofed Charger ..err Panelvan!

Post by hemi4bbl on 27/8/2010, 12:08 am

Hi all,

What a whirlwind of a week! After missing out on an orange CL eBay Van a couple of weeks ago due to a gross misalignment of the planets, I decided that I liked the idea of a daily driver Van whilst Disturbia is still in the build. So the Wanted ads went out soon after and the current VE daily Safari went up for sale.

Well in that short space the VE was sold and a new Van was found! Now just to clarify straight off the bat, this is not the same orange eBay Van, its just extremely similar which is a bit of a Twilight Zone moment!

Soooo, this is how it played out. I was sent a few photos and spoke to a couple of people who'd seen it for sale at the Warwick Mopar drags earlier in the year. They all gave it the thumbs up so a mate Jamie and I hit the road kast Saturday morning with some cash and a trailer at the ready.

The gent selling it was a really nice bloke, very straight up with its history and had a swag of receipts for what's been done. But at the end of the day, what you see is what you get so we gave it a good going over, decided it was goodie, negotiated a price and loaded up ready for the blast back to Brissie.

Basic specs are that it came from the factory as a Hemi/auto bench seat base model Van so doesn't have the headlining in the rear but has the cargo barrier behind the seat. It now runs a 318 with column shift TF.

Body-wise its very clean for one of these, after doing Disturbia its shown where these things rust (everywhere) so at least we knew where to look. It has a couple of spots here and there, but its extremely minor and would have to be one of the better Van shells I've seen lately that hasn't had previous repairs or resto work.

Here she is all loaded up at Warwick, ready for the trip home:

You can see where the 'Mr Juicy' tag came from:

All home, safe and sound:

These rear handles/towel racks are a bit scary, so they and the speakers will be gone asafp! The carpets a bit crusty too...

The paint's a bit chalky here and there, so here's Jamie giving it a quick polish to give us an idea of how it should come up (well!):

So the immediate plans are to get it reg'd soon, then replace the current wheels with some 14x6 & 15x7 polished Jellybeans with 195's/245's, lose the side bump strips and mudflaps (that'll be tomorrow for sure), give it a full detail, tune and service. It'll will also get a twin exhaust with those chevy dumper tailpipes that exit behind the back wheels, I'll CM-ise the headlamp surrounds and grille honeycomb with gunmetal grey and fit an SLR type airdam spoiler I have here to the front, and lower the front a tad. Of course, there'll also be some orange bubble windows going in too.

Eventually I'd like to swap the interior out for a twin bucket and dicky seat setup in tan or light blue, but the original interior is in VGC so I might just learn to live with poo brown instead.

more pics soon

have fun

Simo

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Mr Juicy' the high-roofed Charger ..err Panelvan!

Post by smallvan on 27/8/2010, 2:00 am

Nice looking van, Cool

smallvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billet on 28/8/2010, 11:52 am

what an awsome surviver

billet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace on 28/8/2010, 1:15 pm

Top one Simo.. well done

highwaymenace

View user profile http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by soundman on 31/8/2010, 6:06 pm

Sheesh Nice find!

soundman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hell raiser on 31/8/2010, 11:27 pm

Nice chariot and sweet colour

hell raiser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi4bbl on 1/9/2010, 12:41 pm

Thanks folks, it's a lucky find I reckon and will be staying basically stock.

It's been a busy week getting the juicy one ready for rego. I figured it was worth throwing a few hundred bucks at it now to get it 100% tip top; I need this thing to be reliable so figured some preventative maintenance would be a good move, especially as its sat for a couple of years. To that end, I've had the radiator flushed and fitted all new radiator/bypass, trans and fuel hoses, a thermostat and housing, radiator cap, clamps, fan belt, plugs etc., fixed the leaking exhaust manifold gaskets and pissed off the annoyingly unreliable Carter 2bbl and dropped on a 350 Holley instead. The difference in how the donk runs just by changing carbs has been incredulous and this carb swap is always on the cards whenever I buy a 2bbl Valiant. I also fitted all new flexible brake hoses front and rear, wheel cylinders and even redid the steel brake lines across the diff. It's probably a bit of overkill but at least I'm starting my life with this thing with a clean slate, and I think a new ignition control box will also find its way in there. Thankfully I had a fair bit of this stuff in stock which has kept the costs down. The steel brake lines were fun but the mini bender made life heaps easier:

So here's the engine bay before, and now all spunked up and ready to go:

The more I poke and prod around this Van the happier I am with it - it is 99.99% rust free and all the trouble spots are mint. I think a lot of it is thanks to these folks from back in the day:

and I even found the original green owners book:

with the original owners details and servicing filled in (I love all of this stuff), it was originally a 265 Van too.

So its getting there!:

have fun

Simo

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by azwon on 1/9/2010, 1:35 pm

we love the look here, nice pickup mate, had a friend who had one the same colour in dandenong in '76 same specs.....

azwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty62TransAm on 2/9/2010, 5:33 am

That's a Fantastic find there Simo! Cool

It's great to see that there are still some good finds out there.

The Old Girl's tidying up very nicely. Great Work! Cool

Regards

Rusty! Twisted Evil

Rusty62TransAm

View user profile http://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post by HJXX7 on 2/9/2010, 4:45 pm

Yup, that is one nice van mate. You have done well.

HJXX7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi4bbl on 5/9/2010, 1:45 pm

Thanks folks, its coming along!

Yep I've been a bad man and kept on the Mr Juicy side track this week, but its all for the bigger picture I think. At least I'll have a complete V8 Van to remind me of how the hell Disturbia will go back together...

You know, a little more sidetracking first - I've become interested and surprised with weights of various cars lately. It all started when we were looking to tow Mr Juicy back from Warwick and wanted to find out whether it would be too heavy for the Hilux and trailer combo, and end up pushing us off Cunninghams Gap. At 1500kg, it was surprsingly lighter than what we thought and came within the braked GCM ok and towed beautifully. I thought it was going to be a heap heavier even though Vans are lighter in the bum than most of their similar model bodystyles. So that got me comparing old and new cars and here's a few advertised figures that I found interesting. It really makes you realise how much extra weight all the latest mod cons and accessories add to newer cars, and it must be an on-going battle for manufacturers to keep all of this shite on board but also make them fuel efficient and easy to handle. Now these are figures I found on the net so please don't have a tanty if I've got the weight of your pride and joy out by a couple of kgs:

Chrysler:
V8 Panelvan 1500kg
VG Hardtop 6 1322kg
VG Hardtop V8 1413 kg
V8 Charger 1465kg
Hemi Charger 1352kg

Holden:
EH Sedan auto 1154kg
HQ V8 Monaro 1380kg
VH Commodore 6cyl 1230kg
VZ V8 Sedan 1640kg
VE V8 sedan 1785kg (Calais is 1825!)
VE V6 sedan 1705kg
VE V8 Ute 1806 kg

Ford:
EA Falcon 6 wagon 1508 kg
FG Falcon 6 1704kg

Various:
Volkswagen Golf Gti 1320kg
Hyundai Lantra 1180kg

Anyway, back to the fun stuff. Snuff the Tragic Wagon (or Wally Wagon as he was known at home) left with its new owner Mal yesterday and I was feeling a little devvo'd as I watched it cruise on down the street and onto new adventures; ironically it was being followed down the street by two hot chicks driving the worlds largest Mars Bar wrapper which goes to show that good times for it are already underway. I wasn't the only one feeling the tinge of sadness inside, we had to pry Trinity the dog out of the backseat and she was looking pretty confused as to where 'her' wagon was going with someone else at the wheel.

But then a mate started wielding the electric buffer and car polish over Mr Juicy's flanks, and the glossy orange emerging from what could only be previously described as matt sherbert started to turn my devestation into keeness to get on with the next project. It all started with plenty of prespsol and glue scraping to get the old side strips cleaned off:

Check out the difference in the bonnet! The gloss and depth of colour on the polished passenger side is like total chalk and cheese compared to the dull and washed out drivers side. People have been raving to me lately at how awesome Impact Orange is as a colour, and I was thinking that I couldn't see what all of the fuss was about; I've happily changed my mind:

So this is it with all of the right side sorted out, no harsh cutting, just a good buff with Meguiars swirl remover:

It was still fitted with 4.3 litre badges to the sides which just had to go, the fact its a 318 V8 now and not a 265 6 popper just needs to be shown off. There was no way that crappy metric 5.2 badges were going to cut it (singing 'rollin' in my 5.2' just doesn't have the same ring to it) so I forked out for these new 318 V Eight jobs that originally came out on VH Valiants. They're pretty cheap to buy and although I usually strip all badges off my cars, the fact that this isn't going to be resprayed means new badges look better than a bunch of holes if I left them off. I'll probably buy new Valiant or Chrysler badges for it too as well.

Next up was mocking up the front spoiler. Its a 2 piece SLR Torana type style which I prefer over the real scoopy chin spoilers these usually have, but when it was mounted in the proper position it sat up heaps and looked like the waist of Harry High-pants and was plain wrong, so we lowered it about 40mm to try and give ot more depth and taper. I have to do a couple of small mods to it and shorten it a few cms but once its in orange should blend in ok. The front overriders are modified XC Fairmont versions which will probably stay too:

I'm hoping to rego it this week although a crazy dog chased our cat up the driveway on Friday and hit the open passenger door at full noise, bending the friggin bottom corner of it outwards so that'll need to be fixed before I go for a roadworthy. Fark that dumb-ass dog hit it so hard, but it was a Boxer so it was still just as stupid as it was before the collision. Never a dull moment around our place:

Lastly was some excitement in getting the newly polished rims back that'll go on it soon too, the front rims are 14x6" Centura option Sankey Bensons which will wear 185/75's or more likely 195/75's and the rears are last weeks 15x7's that'll be fitted with 245/60 15's for the big n little look. The front jelly's always remind me of the old Fenton brand rims they ran on 60's Gassers and Super Stockers, but will hopefully suit this ok. It's amazing how much difference a professional polish makes when you compare the old and new of each:

So that's my bling bling all sorted out...

have fun

Simo

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty62TransAm on 5/9/2010, 3:40 pm

WOW!

It's looking $1M Simo. Smile

Well done!

regards

Rusty! Twisted Evil

Rusty62TransAm

View user profile http://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace on 5/9/2010, 3:57 pm

i'm with Rusty on that one. its sweet...

highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by hell raiser on 6/9/2010, 10:10 am

looking mickey mouse

hell raiser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smallvan on 7/9/2010, 12:02 pm

Hummmmmmmm
James rust proofing,
I used to work there, so its possible that i did that van Embarassed

smallvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon on 7/9/2010, 3:01 pm

looking good! u have been busy.... Shocked Very Happy

mazdragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi4bbl on 15/9/2010, 12:00 pm

That's it Maz, there's nothing quite like doing an 'easy' project though!

One Van nearly down, one to go. Yep I managed to get Mr Juicy rego'd last Wednesday after doing the worlds dodgiest wheel alignment, more out of need than desire as the thing was squealing the front tyres driving it in a straight line at 60kph. To the other road users it probably sounded like I was doing the worlds longest and unsmokiest power skid, but I reckon I made it less than a k by the time I found a spot to turn around, then came home and give it a quick bit of camber and toe adjustment using the eye-ometer. But everything else went super smooth and this Van drives and rides tight and quiet - like how some other good things in life should be.

So about 3 minutes after getting home from rego, I wound the front down a few turns and got it sitting at a sensible 6" under the crossmember which got the front tyres level with the wheelarch tops, then fitted up the mate-spec 15x7's and 245/60 15's on the back and 14x6" Sankeys with 195/75's on the front. Its a legal tyre combo anyway, but just thought I'd make it look as plain and boring as possible until the technicalities were cleared. Here's the spinners on the front 6's robbed from a set of early Cragar S/S's; not quite on the money S/S-wise but they are the coolest looking spinners around IMO: (LOL, ROR, WTF, JFC, OJ, ADD, OMG)

I had it properly wheel aligned on Friday and its been happy cruising ever since. With skinny front tyres and approx 2" of forward rake for that 70's look it handles like a wet noodle, but it's got plenty of stick even with the 2.92 geared diff and its like I'm 17 all over again with the ease at which it drops a pegleg burnout. We were doing some snaps of a mates shed on Saturday for Street Machine, so thought I'd take advantage of his nice front lawn and take a few pics. I even refrained from doing any lawn jobs and managed not to spin the wheels, sorry 'wheel':

I fixed the dog dent and that just needs a touch up in orange then a full buff of the left side. On Friday night I jammed in a new wireless and generally tidied up the underdash wiring and removed heaps of additional wiring crap that did nothing or went to nowhere. I couldn't get used to the poo brown interior so I'm in the throes of a black conversion, the top dash steel and crashpad are sorted and I'll get to the remaining brown bits over the next few months.

Here's a useless bit of info for you. When I was 14 back in 1987, my Dad and I bought a 1965 Mini which was my first project car and we fully rebuilt it in time for my licence. This rubber gonk was already fitted to the indicator stalk and used to light up when the indicators were on (early Mini's had a single indicator warning light on the end of the stalk and nothing in the dash). That was over 20 years ago, and every single daily driver I've had ever since has had this friggin' gonk on it. I guess its a good luck charm or something now and is a little worse for wear. You just have to press its eyeball in to make the washers work..

Next up is a twin system with Chevy dumpers behind the back wheels, bendy V8 bonnet badge, bubble windows and a set of chrome tramp rods, yeehah!

By the way, I did do something to Disturbia this week; I dropped the front rims off for polishing, had one of the front seats repaired, flushed the fuel tank out and looked at it a few times... somethings better than nothing hey!

have fun

Simo

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi4bbl on 26/9/2010, 2:00 pm

Nearly there!! Hoodlum Jim came over yesterday and got all of the paint touchups done (thankyou Sir!) so they just need a buff in a couple of days. The spoiler's on and I've also snuck some 15x8.5's onto the back instead with 255/60's... Tramp rods are fitted and its off on Thursday for a twin exhaust and a pair of drop pipes behind the back wheels.

The bloke coughed up for dog door repair too!

Simo

Check out the before and after pics - amazing what some dabs of paint, a set of wheels and a bit of height altering can do hey, especially as the main car has remained untouched:

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace on 26/9/2010, 4:20 pm

sweeta as Simo. ya got to be happy with it

highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi4bbl on 3/10/2010, 3:39 am

Too right Daz!

The distractions almost over, but it's been a lot of fun and renewed both my enthusiasm and laziness at the same time to get stuck back into Disturbia. That probably sounds a bit mental, but I'm hanging to do the fun stuff but a bit half-assed about doing the mundane chores... like a mild shitload of body prep that's still staring at me..

But anyhoo, Mr Juicy reached its final stages this week and I'm totally happy with how its turned out. They say that the best way to get over a broken heart is to start jabbing someone new, and its totally the same with cars. I'm happily at the stage of now saying "Wagon? What wagon??"... I love driving this thing around, but man-oh-man it has brought out the worst in my driving style! You can't help but drive it like a maniac which is a bit of a worry.

So it was time to get the last remaining accessories sorted. You'd all well and truly know by now that I want this thing to ooze the late 70's/early 80's era like its just been driven off the set of Puberty Blues. First up was the front spoiler which was removed for proper finishing, scored a bit more of a nip and a tuck to get it mounted lower (narrowed about 3" and lowered by about 2") then it was hit with a few more coats of Impact orange. A couple of mates were around for the day, and between them and the girls we kept getting sidetracked playing games of kelly pool, cranked up the BBQ and ate Chocolate Crackles washed down with a few coldies. It was a great day and we had plenty of laughs.

I knew last weeks random "lets see how this thing looks with Disturbia's back wheels on it" would create a monster that was going to start eating into my wallet before the thing was even off the jackstands. Needless to say I've since picked up a second pair of 15x8.5" Jellybeans.... They're a pretty rare rim in Ford/late Chrysler pattern to start with so the fact that there was a pair on ebay, in Brisbane, at a great price, exactly when I went looking for some was a sign from somewhere with the continual faint whisper in my ear of 'buy me....". So I'll get these polished and throw on the original 245/60's that were mounted to the 7's.

Okey smokes, so it was time to get back to business. For some reason Chrysler Aust. discontinued the V8 bonnet badges after about the VH or VJ from memory, so if you bought a V8 CL you got left with no badge, a Regal badge or SE version (maybe it was the oil crisis of the time and they were trying to play it down but who knows). Well that sucked as far as I was concerned as I love those '8' badges, so it was time to MacGyver a spare VG Val '8' I had here to the bendy Regal badge base that was already fitted to the Van. One drill bit and 5 minutes later it was done, then bolted on and ready to go:

Then it was onto another subtle mod to tidy things up. I've done this fuel spill tray trick to every Valiant I've ever owned in the last 20 years, plus a few for friends and other make cars too. The normal locking caps leave a messy back edge on the body so you give a soill tray a quick trim of its lip with some snips, clean it with a file and the jobs done:

The exhaust was next on the cards and there's only place retro enough to know what the hell I wanted, in fact I even scored a lesson on the correct terminology and angles too. So it was off to Fat Pipes where Les and Scotty came through with the goods yet again and I am totally stoked with the work they did and how it looks. The only let down though was totally through my own doing, where I got them to use some twin 2 1/4" main pipes and mufflers that I already had at home. Being a TAVO (tight assed Valiant owner) I wanted to save a few bucks, but these mufflers I had turned out to be really quiet which might need to get the flick for some semi straight-throughs in the near future. When you're paying V8 rego you actually want it to be a tad obnoxious!

I left them to it but was called outside soon after as they had a 'better' idea they thought could do the trick. Very funny Les...

So the full twin system with drop pipes was sorted by Scotty and that was one more thing checked off the list:

The tramp rods in the pic above were replaced with some bigger and lower versions I had in the shed, and then it was onto, in my opinion, the christmas tree star of panelvanism - the one thing that divides Vanners or car enthusiasts in general. Tailgate lettering - you either love it or hate it. It's no secret that I've always loved Sandmans and the like, and the buzz you'd get seeing a Van or Ute ripping around as a kid or even now with 'SANDMAN' across the tailgate was the epitome of 70's cool, a symbol of that time and generation. It was a must do for Mr Juicy but the hard part was to decide what and how to do it. It couldn't say 'Drifter' because it's not even close to being a replica, I didn't want 'Valiant' because it's a CL model with the 'C' for Chrysler instead of the 'V' for Valiant like on VG, VH, VJ etc. so 'Chrysler' it was. So I trowled through about a million fonts online to try and find something loose and of the era. Here's a couple of close considerations photoshopped for testing purposes, with a variety of colours that were tried out:

I'll probably use this one on Disturbia:

The final choice however was 'space cruiser gradient' as its pretty reminisce of the 'strobe' stripes that were popular on 70's US Mopars and could even be optioned on some Aussie Chargers around the rear roof from memory too.

So a signwriting mate sliced up some vinyl for me on Friday and we laid it onto a freshly buffed tailgate:

The brighter orange was decided and thought to be the go as it was probably the most subtle choice and didn't look too out of place on the otherwise plain Van, whilst still looked era correct.

So there you have it, its pretty much all done. The fact that the internal rear view mirror is only good for spotting planes and you need to jack the front up to accurately check the engine and trans oil means the forward rake is right, and the last thing that will get fitted is a full set of tinted bubble windows once I get around to making a template.

have fun

Simo

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramble on 3/10/2010, 9:34 am

Simply put, simply awesome. what else could I say.
Nice simple mods to a great cruiser.
Credit to you. Very Happy

Ramble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon on 6/10/2010, 2:36 pm

It's been a while that i've been on the forum... been tied up and just too busy.... wow, what can i say... i used to live with a chrysler nut, even had a wagon of my own (unfortunately it was a lemon), but nevertheless, the ex was happy i was driving a chrysler. My opinion was that they're all lemons in one way or another, extremely narrow minded of me, yes i know, all cars have "issues" and really it was a matter of just simply hangin shit on chrysler cos i'm a holden girl (but secretly like the look and sound of a V8 chrysler - please don't tell anyone...shhh)... however, to see what you've done to this classic example of motoring history is just simply amazing.. i luv yr writing, i laugh, i smile and i'm in absolute awe of your pragmatic approach... the van looks awesome. That is truly amazing and I can't wait to see it or the Denim machine at the nats.....

mazdragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 on 11/10/2010, 6:25 am

The van is lookin real trick Simo, as Maz said, we look forward to seeing it in the flesh, hope you are gouing to comr to the van nats!!! R U??? Very Happy

vanner065
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi4bbl on 7/11/2010, 11:22 am

Hopefully next year in Disturbia James and Maz! Mr Juicy's been earning its keep since being rego'd and I've clocked up approx. 1800 k's trouble-free (apart from the odd spoiler scrape...).

I managed to finally get the second set of 8.5's polished which will go on soon:

and here's a bit of proof that it's no show-pony! The guy at the tip reckons I'm nuts but loved it just the same, but hey, that's what its for!

have fun

Simo

hemi4bbl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 on 8/11/2010, 11:58 am

the rear rubber fills the guards out nicely, mmmm, some suttle flairs would look trick

vanner065
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top